MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials who have attracted much attention in recent years, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and have shown broad application prospects in numerous fields. This is a detailed overview of the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
What is MAX material?
MAX phase material is actually a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material comprising M, A, X elements around the periodic table, collectively called “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, including titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the main group elements, including aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer consists of M, A, X, the 3 aspects of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Because of the electrical conductivity of metal and strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, these are popular in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding and other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is a new type of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material with all the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, consisting of three elements with the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M means the transition metal, A refers to the main-group elements, and X refers back to the components of C and/or N. The MXene material is a graphene-like structure obtained by the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MAXenes and MXenes are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials made up of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Uses of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the excellent physical properties of MAX materials make them have an array of applications in structural materials. For instance, Ti3SiC2 is a common MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which could be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials can also be utilized in functional materials. For example, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and could be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. In addition, some MAX materials also have better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be used in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which can be utilized in energy materials. As an example, K4(MP4)(P4) is one of the MAX materials with higher ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which can be used as a raw material to produce solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
What Exactly are MXene materials?
MXene materials certainly are a new type of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, similar to the structure of graphene. The top of MXene materials can interact with more functional atoms and molecules, along with a high specific surface area, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation ways of MXene materials usually are the etching management of the MAX phase as well as the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties including electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics may be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials really are a new form of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials consisting of metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, like high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., in addition to good chemical stability and the opportunity to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Applications of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and they are widely used in energy storage and conversion. For instance, MXene materials bring electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. Furthermore, MXene materials could also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to boost the action and stability from the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity can be utilized in electromagnetic protection. For example, MXene materials can be used as electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, along with other applications in electronic products and personal protection, improving the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and may be used in sensing and detection. For example, MXene materials bring gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which can realize high sensitivity and high selectivity detection of gases. In addition, MXene materials could also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics as well as other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. In the future, using the continuous progress of science and technology and also the increasing demand for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application regions of MAX and MXene materials will be further expanded and improved. The following aspects can become the focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mostly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. In the future, new preparation technologies and techniques can be further explored to understand a far more efficient, energy-saving and eco-friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials is already high, however, there is still room for further optimization. Down the road, the composition, structure, surface treatment as well as other elements of the content may be studied and improved comprehensive to boost the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials have already been widely used in many fields, but there are still many potential application areas to become explored. Down the road, they may be further expanded, including in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection as well as other fields.
In conclusion, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show a wide application prospect in lots of fields. Using the continuous progress of technology and science as well as the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application regions of MAX and MXene materials will be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.